A thespian without vanity
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.
Le Deal du moment : -50%
-50% Baskets Nike Air Huarache
Voir le deal
64.99 €

Matthew Macfadyen is Tom Quinn

Matthew Macfadyen is Tom Quinn Empty Matthew Macfadyen is Tom Quinn

Message  Matthieu Dim 27 Sep 2009 - 16:46

Partie du dossier de presse pour la saison 2 (BBC Press Office, 4 avril 2003) [merci à Mia].
The success of the first series of Spooks was something of a surprise to Matthew Macfadyen.
“I thought it was a good show when we were making it but you can never really tell. I was thrilled when the producers called me to tell me how well it had done.”

There was a downside, however. “They put huge billboards up to promote the series and the strange thing was, there was one right outside my flat! I would walk out of my front door and think to myself, ‘Oh, there I am!’ which was the weirdest thing. But then, after a while, it became strangely normal to see my face staring back at me every day!”

Macfadyen clearly enjoys playing Tom Quinn, the senior case officer at MI5 who finds himself at the heart of the action. “Part of the fun of being an actor is to explore those parts in you that you wouldn’t normally be able to do,” says Macfadyen.
“I think I’ve influenced Tom and he has also influenced me. Tom’s quite a serious character and concentrates on his job, sometimes at the expense of other areas of his life. He has difficulty when his work spills into his personal life, and he finds it hard to keep things secret.”

The new series starts where the first series ended. Tom has moved in with his girlfriend, Ellie (Esther
Hall) and her young daughter, Maisie (Heather Cave).

“Tom has inadvertently taken a laptop computer home and then he gets a call from an Irish terrorist who tells him that there are explosives in the laptop,” explains Macfadyen. “Tom is outside the house and Ellie and Maisie are inside but because of the extra security measures on the house he can’t get in and they can’t get out – and that’s where we left them.”

Tom is much colder and harder in the new series and one episode in particular proved a greater challenge than most.

“Tom and the team walk into the grid for an ordinary day at work when they are faced with what’s called an Extreme Emergency Response Initiative Exercise (EERIE). They are informed that a dirty bomb has exploded outside Westminster, and they have to decide how to deal with it,” says Macfadyen.

“It was very exciting to film that episode, which was brilliantly written by Howard Brenton,” says
Macfadyen. “The team are doing everything by the book, but as the episode unfolds the team become unsure whether it is an exercise or not. The whole episode was shot entirely on the grid, no one can leave and no one can enter. It was also shot in sequence which was fantastic – you almost never get to do that in television. And I finally get to use a gun in that episode, so I was thrilled! I love all the physical stuff where you get to charge around.”

He continues: “In that episode, even more than any of the others, it is vital that the team can trust each other to get through. I think Tom gets on with everyone in the team, but particularly Zoe and Danny, who he really likes and trusts. He’s their boss and he does play the ‘boss card’ when he has to. He also looks out for them in quite a paternal way when he’s not that much older then them.

“We’ve also got some new characters joining the team this series. There’s Ruth [Nicola Walker] who is an intelligence analyst and has been seconded to MI5 from GCHQ. And there’s a new recruit, Sam [Shauna Macdonald], who’s just out of the academy and is really keen to be thrown in at the deep end.”

For Macfadyen, who is enjoying an off-screen romance with Keeley Hawes, acting was a childhood dream. “I did lots of plays when I was at school and being on stage was when I felt happiest. I found it incredibly exciting and so I auditioned for all the school plays. I was certain that this was what I wanted to do and never really considered anything else. I was very fortunate to get into RADA and had a really good three years there. Acting still doesn’t feel like a proper job sometimes – I get paid to do something I love which makes me feel very lucky.”

Macfadyen’s first big break was in the theatre, where he spent three years at the RSC and Royal National Theatre. Then came his first television role in Peter Kosminsky’s acclaimed BBC One drama, Warriors, followed by well-chosen roles in Stephen Poliakoff’s Perfect Strangers, The Way We Live Now and The Project.

“To date, I think my favourite experience was when I played Benedick in Shakespeare’s Much Ado About
Nothing
when I was 23.” This role brought Matthew a nomination for the Ian Charleson Award for best
classical actor under 30. “Then my first big television job was Warriors about British soldiers in Bosnia, which was remarkable, and now I’m doing Spooks, which I also love.”
Matthieu
Matthieu
Fan libre

http://www.matthew-macfadyen.org/

Revenir en haut Aller en bas